04 March 2010

Comfort...

Oh, you Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. They feel so simple at this point in time, as I have grown markedly in the kitchen over the last year, but damn they are good. Easy comfort food without a ton of guilt. Sorry about the unappealing picture. Food is only attractive through the lens of a $500+ camera, which – regretfully, I am without. Damn. Try these anyway and fall in love. Buen Provecho!

Ingredients: 
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 small flour tortillas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 oz.) can green chile enchilada sauce
4 oz. can diced green chiles (optional -- they don't add a lot of taste, but they look nice for presentation)
Two handfuls cheddar monterey jack (blend) grated cheese -- yes, this particular blend of cheese makes a difference.  I wouldn't advise deviating here.

Simon Says:
Throw chicken breasts in boiling pot of water for 20-25 min.

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Pull out 5X5 in. baking dish and drizzle with enchilada sauce (just enough to thinly coat the bottom)
When chicken is done cooking, remove from pot and place on cutting board.  Allow to cool for a minute so you are able to handle it without crying.  Shred chicken apart with fork to pull meat away.  Toss shredded chicken into a small mixing bowl. Spoon 4 oz. of the chicken soup, 1/3 of the enchilada sauce, and diced green chiles (optional) over chicken.  Mix.
Scoop mixture onto flour tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, roll and place into baking dish.  Bomb tortillas with remainder of cheese and enchilada sauce.  Cook 30 min and eat it and love it, damnit.

*
*

Ever since my dad gave me a box of chocolates for Valentine's, I eat a piece after dinner.  Zoe...sigh.  Even at the age of one, she has developed strong feelings for chocolate, urges that she cannot control. I offered her a taste.  She instantly pried it out of my grasp with the superhuman baby strength she employs, and blissfully nommed on it.  Offering her tastes of sweets are okay with me, but I am reevaluating that as it appears to make things worse in the end when I am forced to do one of the most cold-hearted lines in the world -- TAKE CANDY FROM A BABY:

 
Her heart-rending breakdown after I released the half-eaten chocolate from her steel grip...and B.J. attempting to comfort her through this hard time in her life. :( 
Oh man, there is something so sad about this baby crying, yet with chocolate goatee and mustache...so achingly adorable and hilarious!  Nature was brilliant and sadistic when inventing the cry.

1 comments:

Burtons said...

So cute Jenn. I can't blame her....chocolate is the best. I would act the same way if you tried to pry a half eaten chocolate from my hands as well.

She is so cute....I can't get over it.

About Me

My photo
I guess you're just what I needed.

About Me

My photo
I guess you're just what I needed.